Tuesday 28 April 2009

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

One of Kim Edwards many strengths as a writer is her chacterizations. The novel is finely paced like a good tune and compelling. Edwards keeps the reader guessing, with her story of the gradual disintegration of a marriage after twin babies are born, a boy and girl. Their father a medic, who has to deliver the babies during a snowstorm, quickly recognises their daughter has Downs Syndrome. From the compelling first chapter it's obvious Dr David Henry is a perfectionist and controlling, who deeply loves his wife Norah. He's also a man holding secrets like lead weights, who never discusses his past. David makes the greatest mistake of his life by informing Norah, their daughter has died at birth. Caroline, the nurse present at the birth, becomes embroiled in his lie, which radically changes her life.

The period of the novel spans 1964 to 1989. Norah's grief and David's guilt is a double edged sword in their relationship. One the reader becomes embroiled with. What we have here, is the life journey of David, Norah, and Caroline the nurse, who remains central throughout. Love, tragedy, the burden of deceit, infidelity, courage and redemption, are key features. A superbly crafted novel, one which progresses each of the characters life transitions with some surprises.

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

Thank you for the critique of The Memory Keeper's Daughter - it sounds like a book I will be reading soon. Actualy I have been a bit discouraged in my reading lately - I bought The White Tiger which won the Booker and despite three conscientious attempts I have not got past the third chapter. Then I bought a book when I was at the London Book Fair to read on the bus going home (it was a strange experience trying to buy a book at the LBF - all those books on show and yet obody would sell me one!) until I found a small independent publisher willing to part with a whodunit, which I have only managed to read a few chapters of. Then the other day I bought the latest Wilbur Smith, a continuation of his "Egyptian" trilogy (the fourth in the trilogy, it seems, and he really should have left it at three) It is not like the WS I remember - the story is about nothing more interesting than an old man's erotic fantasies, which I can well do without, and it isn't even well written.
So, thank you for a new direction!

I am busy now arranging for a launch for Tyfoon's Tale. I've never done a launch party before, but I felt that this story deserves it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sylvia